Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Boxing Around the World - Anthony Joshua is the European Champion

I'm no longer personally involved in boxing and this leaves me at something of a disadvantage.  I never let it go, however, and it never let go of me.  Unfortunately, I'm in no better a position than the average fan to handicap the sport.  So here I am, a fan, looking for a niche. 

There's been a regular bloom of boxing sites, here and abroad, and it's an everyday occurrence for me to use the hashtag #boxing to see what's going on.

After the Anthony Joshua  vs, Joseph Parker fight, and even before it, I had the feeling that Joshua's next victim would be Tyson Fury. Should that fight actually be set, I'd be very disappointed.  It would be an entertaining fight,   largely because of the clownish element attached to it. 

Tyson Fury seems happy enough to have the media spotlight focused on him without actually fighting. I suppose that's better than lying on your back with the ring lights spotlighted on you after Anthony Joshua gets an early knockout.  Joshua is a good boxer against the kind of talent he's faced so far.  He's very strong, has boxing skills, but his style is very conventional, and with the exception of his TKO of an aging Wladimir Klitchko, he's fought only to his own level and not a cut above.  A little heavyweight like Evander Holyfield would get to him easy. Of course there are no Holyfields around that I can see.

 Anthony Joshua s just yesterday  told Tyson Fury to either get busy or shut up.  I don't condemn Eddie Hearn for ka-ching- ka-ching but I do condemn him for his faked-assed deflections of Deontay Wilder's continuous unanswered challenges of the British champion.  A Twitter boxing analyst with the handle of Boxing Kingdom says that shyster Eddie offered disrespectful chump change to Wilder, not because he expected to get it, but because he needed to look like he was actually willing to risk his fake champion's belt when, in fact, he's scared to death of fighting Deontay Wilder. Here's the tweet I'm talking about:  https://twitter.com/BoxingKingdom14  It quotes Adam Abramovitz  of @SNboxing this way:  

  Anthony Joshua is  only the reigning European champion -- even if he has three belts.  I'm not buying he's the heavyweight champion of the world until he fights someone who's not clowning, dog.   And that would be Deontay Wilder.Deontay Wilder.Deontay Wilder.Deontay Wilder.Deontay Wilder.  I'd even be happy  if he took on 38 year old Luis Ortiz who almost KO'd Wilder in their recent bout.

No comments: