Search This Blog

Friday, July 13, 2012

Sergio Martinez: I will beat Julio junior so bad that he will become unrecognisable – Boxing News | bettor.com

Sergio Martinez: I will beat Julio junior so bad that he will become unrecognisable – Boxing News | bettor.com

This will be one to watch in September, and the Latino Macho championship is up for grabs.  It's a hard one to pick with the unorthodox Martinez being 37 years old.  He deserves a shot at Julio fer sure and I enjoy trash talk (James Toney being my favorite champion of trash talk) but I kinda' wished he hadn't said that thing about Julio's dad.

Something like "You better take a picture of your son b/c when I beat him up he's going to be unrecognizable." 

That's going to ignite the Chavez camp as it's intended to do, hoping they'll waste energy on the psycho war, but it's not safe to strike a match while standing on stacks of dynamite.  There are the Mexican fans in the Chavez crew who are likely to take the remark personally.

I hope I'm wrong.  Muhammad Ali had the right idea with his style of trash talk, directed at the fighter, not his family.   I heard Great Ali myself, and it was pretty good stuff, designed to wind up the opponent and get him to fight harder. 

"Is that all you got punk?  Shoot your load, punk.  Is that it?..."

And so forth.  Anyway, the moral lesson is over and Martinez is forgiven and I am looking forward to watching this fight.  Chavez was underestimated before, and it's likely he'll be underestimated again. 

But as with the Mayweather clan, boxing's historical imperative runs in the Chavez DNA, and a smart, strong kid like Chavez Jr., if not taken care of early, could punish Martinez severely in late rounds.

No comments: